fishing trip

Monday 8th was over to Peterborough, to stay with Geoff for a fishing trip on Tuesday. It’s a bit of an emotionally fraught trip for me – the first part of the rail journey (Worcester Foregate Street – Birmingham – Leicester) is the route that I took so many times (certainly over a hundred) over to Bedford with, to see, or to sort out Maurice.

I hadn’t realised that it was the end of the Ledbury festival, and the little 2-carriage train was packed. People lying on luggage racks, even. Needless to say, it was standing room only all the way to New Street, and running very late. In fact, there was only three minutes to catch the Cross-country train to Peterborough, so I had to run (as best I can, which is “not very” with a walking stick!). As it turned out, not only was I on the train before the advertised departure time, but it actually left five minutes late.

I arrived in Peterborough on time, and as I emerged from the station saw Geoff’s BMW drawing up, with Sim in the back seat. A trip over to the fishing venue (Lovell’s Lakes) to suss out pegs for the morning, calling in at Morrisons on the way for food for the fishing, then back to Geoff’s. Supper was a rather good chicken and mushroom pie he’d made, with spuds and broccoli. Thoughout the evening,there was much joking and amusement about Alexa, which he’s only just got and is still coming to grips with!

As Geoff has now sorted his spare bedroom, I got a reasonable night on a decent firm mattress (Sim was on the sofa downstairs). Alarm went off at 0445, I was up by 0500, we left at 0545 and were at the lake two minutes after start time of 0600.

A very pleasant day’s fishing ensued, with all of us catching plenty. My biggest carp was only a couple of pounds, though Sim had one probably around 7lb. There was quite a mix of Common Carp, Mirror Carp, and assorted curious hybrids.

The water bailiff came round, and I paid for all three of us – well, I owed Geoff for the Morrisons stuff from the day before, anyway. There was a lot of discussion – new rules had apparently been introduced on April 1st, though the bailiff had not previously mentioned them to Geoff. His partner produced three copies of a printout for us, but neither of them examined either my tackle or Sim’s, which was just as well! Geoff’s largely passed muster, though he was told to have a larger landing net next time …

All of which suggests that I’m going to have to up my game before our next trip! Actually, I’d more-or-less decided that I need to have a set of fishing gear in Worcester, as well as leaving my “main” set with my brother Sim. It all needs to be very portable, as any fishing trip I do in the Worcester area will have to be accessed by e-bike! That means a telescopic rod, short landing net, and so on.

We packed up at Lovells Lakes around quarter to five – largely at my suggestion. Nearly eleven hours of fishing is actually rather past my limits, especially as I currently have a troublesome right wrist and wear a brace on it much of the time. Back to Geoff’s for an hours, then off to catch the 1852 train. Just as well we left in plenty of time: the lift and adjacent staircase at Peterborough station were closed, so it was a detour of several hundred yards to use the ramps. I wasn’t happy that no effort had been made to assist people who find walking / luggage difficult!

So, home, exhausted, at around 2200h.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *