I did a batch of Green Party printing, and was pushing the machine back into the cupboard,when one of the castors came off. As it was already missing one, things ground to a halt!
I did manage to raise the dodgy end by levering it up with a heavy-duty garden spade (using a couple of bricks as a fulcrum), and have temporarily slipped a small furniture dolly under it, so the printer could be pushed back into the cupboard. However, that means it’s unstable, and way off level, so doesn’t print sensibly.
After talking to Louis when he came to collect the printed newsletters, I emailed Andrew, who’s a great DIY / repair cafe stalwart, who has kindly agreed to do repairs. It will take two people (excluding me) as the printer itself weighs about 130kg.
I sent Andrew pix of the printer in situ, the pull-out carry handles, and one of the castors – the images are “clickable”.
Well, I’ve eventually had to have the electricity meter replaced, and have gone for a “Smart” meter. It’s largely so that I can take advantage of the decent feed-in tariff from Octopus (my supplier).
I was told that the engineer would arrive “between 8 and 8, and would give me a call first. He rang around 0945, turned up at 1000, and was all done and dusted and tidied away before midday.
All very painless, apart from having to shift a lot of furniture and “bits” (and the Green Party printer!) before and after, to give him decent access.
This charming little thing is streptocarpella (formerly streptocarpus) saxorum. I took a cutting from my Mum’s plant a bit over a year ago – it’s got big, but I was beginning to despair of it ever flowering! However, over the last couple of days there have been two flowers – hopefully lots more to come in due course.
It’s not been a good few days! A week ago I posted this to Facebook:
Yesterday and today have been vile weather: non-stop rain, and heavily overcast (I even had to put the bedroom light on when getting up at 0830h).
So, on getting up from a late after-lunch nap, it was “engage full winter mode” – curtains closed, fire lit, and Telemann Tafelmusik playing quietly.
Having put the boiled mush in the jellybag to drip overnight, I pretty much had to finish the job this morning, despite it being a “bad arthritis day”.
It’s a mix of Laxtons Superb and a quince (both from my Mum’s) with a couple of Bramleys left over from my last Ocado delivery, so although the quince element isn’t very pronounced it can still have the label “Apple and Quince Jelly”.
It’s that time of year again, and Mum’s pear tree is laden. Yesterday I came home with a carrier bag almost full, and today it was into bottling. There were just enough left over for stewed pears as pudding tonight.
After a fairly tiring day “doing jobs” around my Mum’s house (culminating in re-varnishing the outside of the back door), I managed a hirple down to the River Evenlode in the late afternoon. The bits near the former mill were crowded, but further down there was the accustomed tranquil scene. Nice to see the old swimming hole is still evidently in use!